Saturday, October 5, 2013

Dearborn, Michigan - Chicago, Illinois

Now we’re heading back to Montana.  First stop is Michigan, which has a population of almost 10 million people.  The capital is Lansing, but the Henry Ford Museum is in Dearborn, and what a museum it is.  It not only has automobiles of all makes and years but it also has trains, airplanes, agricultural equipment, furniture, and a little bit of all of our pasts.  
This is not the exact car but very similar to the first car I remember in my family.
Ours was a 1936 Buick - this was a 1936 Ford I think.
This was the car I wanted when I was in high school - 1956 Thunderbird
Of particular interest to me was the Dymaxion House that was an all aluminum house that was conceived by R. Buckminster Fuller as the home of the future for its affordability and environmentally conscious design.  Only two of these homes were ever built.
This was built along the lines of a trailer house - but it is actually round.
After passing through a corner of Indiana we were in Illinois which has a population of 13 million people.  Its capital is Springfield but the biggest city is Chicago.  We attempted to take a boat ride from Lake Michigan down the Chicago River, but it was pouring rain and began to lightening so that did not happen.  Which means I missed out on all the beautiful pictures that I would have gotten along the way.  Here is the best I could do of the Chicago skyline.

Absolutely had to include Jimmy Buffett's Margaritaville Sign
for my oldest son, Mike.

No comments:

Post a Comment